Insights on German and American culture, things to do in Germany, and the daily life of a 24 year old guy bee-bopping around in Germany for a year with the CBYX

31 August 2011

das Fundbüro

Up front I'm going to tell you that this post isn't going to have any pictures, so if you border on illiterate, this may be the part where you stop reading.

You might have noticed that my posts have come less frequently than they did when I was in Washington, DC or in Eppstein. Or maybe you have noticed that the posts tend to come in bursts. Originally this was because I had (and have) no internet at my host Oma's house. Well in between those last posts and now, circumstances have worsened and then gotten better.

About 3 weeks ago, we were all hanging out at the beach, "am Strand" as we like to say, and I had my backpack with me. We then decided to move our little shindig to the altstadt of Radolfzell, I also had my backpack with me there. I then decided to go home; and I no longer had my backpack with me. I went back to the bar(s) that we were in and asked about my backpack, but no one had seen it and I couldn't find it there.

Now I'm not really attached to the backpack per se, but the backpack had my course books, my dictionary, my power adapter, my sunglasses, and my laptop in it.

I asked my German friends what I should do and they all said that I should check at this place called the Fundbüro. I had never heard the word, but apparently it is a municipal lost and found. If you find something here that is worth more than a certain amount, you are required by law to turn it in to the Fundbüro.

Well, I've checked there twice and, as amazing as this office sounds, no one has turned in my laptop. Luckily, a new laptop is not (that) expensive and so I bought one and my mom shipped it here. One thing I didn't lose was my external hard drive and that had a copy of all of my music and pictures and files, so on the balance I have only really lost the laptop. My new laptop arrived yesterday, and I've named him Heiko, which is actually a German name, despite sounding Japanese.

All things considered it could have been worse. I didn't lose my passport, my bahncard, any fingers of toes, etc

No comments:

Post a Comment