Insights on German and American culture, things to do in Germany, and the daily life of a 24 year old guy bee-bopping around in Germany for a year with the CBYX

01 November 2011

Die Rückkehr des Amis

I'm not really (or at all) a Star Wars fan, but this seemed to fit. Today's title is a play on words from the Star Wars film Return of the Jedi, which, in German, was titled Die Rückkehr der Jedi-Ritter. Ami is a slang word for American. I chose this title because in this post I'm gonna chronicle my return to Berlin!

This time around in Berlin, I was able to see more off-the-beaten-path sights. I'm guessing it was because I spent my time in Berlin with an actual German, which turned out to be helpful. Who knew?

We saw all the normal stuff. Siegesäule, Berlin Wall, Checkpoint Charlie, Brandenburg Gate, Fernsehturm. Checkpoint Charlie was the most disappointing sight of the entire trip. It's literally a ticket booth in the middle of the street. There's a McDonald's next door. I was expecting the gateway between East and West to have a little more...show, more ummph, more anything. I mean for god's sake that TV antenna on Alexanderplatz at least has laserlights. Play some disco music, get some strippers, pass out T-shirts, something. If you go to Berlin, skip Checkpoint Charlie.

We spent some time checking out the main drags of Berlin. Unter den Linden and Friedrichstraße were interesting but very very pricy. There was a Volkswagen store and I got a sneak peak of the new VW Beetle though, hot off the line!


The diplomatic quarter was also fun to see. We killed a good hour here because I wanted to find the Mexican Embassy. See, the picture on the internet of the Embassy showed it with an enormous fence around it, and honestly, I sort of wanted to get arrested as an American trying to break into Mexico. (Un)luckily, we never found it. There were tons of other political jokes running through my head. I really hoped the United Arab Emirates' Embassy would have a fountain of crude oil. No dice. Also, I have to say, India's embassy puts the other to utter shame.


We spent Sunday at the Pergamon Museum, and it was exceptional. The Pergamon has a bunch of stuff from Mesopotamia. It's got the Ishtar Gate, a Codex of Hammurabi, and the entire city of Pergamon from Turkey. It was really fulfilling to see these things because I'd learned so much about them. We spent essentially the first semester of Humanities Class in high school on Mesopotamia. I also forced us to go to the Botanical Garden and I geeked out there a whole bunch.


Oranienstraße was something that my German friend wanted to see because he heard it was popular, but he freely admitted that he didn't know why. This was unexpectedly my favorite place we saw....other than the Pergamon. Oranienstraße started off boring and then slowly we started to see Turkish shops, and then Vietnamese shops, and then art shops. There was also a fair amount of homeless people and graffiti and drunk people in between. My accomplice for the trip got sort of edgy during this phase. I joked about renting an apartment there. He didn't laugh. I don't have any pictures of Oranienstre because I was pretty sure that if I took out my camera, I would be mugged. This area reminded me why I like Berlin. The street is really gritty (filthy) and diverse (poor) and so alive with people (drunk). I really liked it though and I would love to go back...in the daylight.

So that's it for Berlin, Part II. I'm certain I'll end up back there at some point, but I won't bore you with a third story.

No comments:

Post a Comment